9.12.19

Sometimes dead is better. My "PET SEMATARY" by stephen king





I was around 20 
when I first read that novel, 
probably the first year when foreign contemporary books began to arrive in Romania.  

Ever since, not a single year without reading a book by Stephen King. 

And each time I am troubled by his humor,
by the bankruptcy of gender relations
and by the fury he employs 
in closing down all the doors of his intrigues,
killing out in 10 pages
the delicious anxiety he had nourished during 500. 

But to this day I continue to exalt these scenes of recess, 
where nothing much happens, 
scenes that build up his spell. 
An ice-cold beer in the shade of a porch,
the landscapes of Maine,
a rocking chair,
a Chesterfield that dissipates in the evening breeze...

 King perfectly combines these familiar flavors, midway between Edward Hopper 
and Norman Rockwell.
Everything is at first glance reassuring.

But already pregnant 
with a kind of metaphysical double bottom,
where a shadow blows into our ears 
the same compulsory teaching: ​​
the world does not wish us well. 

And this autumn, once again, 
I have travelled to Castle Rock or to Derry.

 Sufficiently as to find again this peculiar climate
that will forever remain
the one of my 20ies.

By Giulia Dobre
(as aired on Radio Romania)





No comments:

Post a Comment